Friday, February 7, 2014

Hot Potato, Hot Potato

The weather here has been arctic (for the PNW) since Sunday so not only have I not been out to ride Licorice, but turnout was limited again due to the mud freezing over in the pastures.  When I arrived this morning, Licorice shoved his face into the halter and stood in the cross ties with his body trembling, his head straight up in the air and his tail up like an Arab.  I didn't bother brushing and just pulled off his blanket, clipped on a lunge line and went into the arena.  He was hot, hot, hot.

We had to have a brief discussion of why we don't run over our humans, even if we are super excited.  Then he took off on the lunge line and we had to have another discussion about why our human doesn't want to water ski on the arena footing.  He cantered and cantered and cantered.  Then he would try to buck, which was hilariously cute.  He would hunch his back and bring his back legs up a tiny bit while shaking his head.  He did manage to get a back foot up on one buck.  I think he surprised himself with that because he dropped back down to trot for a few steps.

After about fifteen minutes and both directions, I figured he was okay to ride.  But once we got in the grooming aisle, he let me know by spooking and throwing his head that he still had extra energy to burn.  Back into the arena we went, where he threw in some more attempts at bucking and generally had a good time on the lunge line.

Finally, I got on to ride.  It had been a solid five days since the clinic.  The thing that is frustrating about clinics or any kind of lesson is that I have the capacity to only remember three things.  So, though I know we did some sort of work off the rail that had to do with the proper bend, I can't remember what it was.  More inside leg?  More outside leg?  Counterbend?  Next time I will make sure my video camera is fully charged so I can re-watch it.
Even though it's blurry, you can totally see his funky knee on the left side.  When he stands it looks like he's completely over at the knee because he has a capped knee.

I did remember to tilt my shoulders more forward in the trot and the sitting trot.  It worked like magic and Licorice was nice and forward.  I also remembered to steer him and not let him pick where he wants to go.  And finally (the third thing) I remembered to soften when I came out of the canter into the trot and to soften in the sitting trot.  We had a great ride.

Every time I finally get my warm clothes on and make myself go to the barn, I am rewarded with a fabulous ride on my fabulous pony.

1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures, I think the horses are ready for spring and good turnout footing!

    ReplyDelete