Saturday, November 19, 2011

Possible Setback

Pony had a weird fluid feeling in her shoulder.  No pain upon palpation, but when I lunged her she looked fine one way and kind of off the other way.  Of course, I can't really tell if a horse is 'off' unless it's head-bobbing-lurching-dead-lame.  The only other person around was another boarder who came out and watched and agreed I should hold off on riding.  I have sent an email to L (who is not only my trainer but the barn owner) and am waiting to hear back.  If it is even anything, I doubt it's anything serious.  But no riding today, which is a bit of a shame since I wanted to get over the sticky forward problem today.  I would also be lying if I didn't say it was a bit of a relief.  Going up instead of forward has definitely pushed a button with me and I'm not sure if I'm ready to fix it without someone holding my hand.

In other news, Pony still can't lift her back feet safely and she's developed a bit of thrush in the fronts.  She likely has thrush in the backs since I can't (don't) clean them out due to safety issues.  I am going to ask L if she knows anyone who would want to trade riding time in exchange for picking out her feet regularly.  I am just out of money and can't afford to pay someone, but the Pony needs experience!  She will pick up her back feet, but does it very quickly and then waves them around and snatches them back.  Then when you go to pick them up again, she snatches even faster.  I have to admit, I am disappointed that after 6 months of professional training with a trainer (who is also a trimmer and did her feet) she is only marginally better.  I know that you're not supposed to put a time limit on things like these but what is a reasonably expectation for a horse to be able to pick up her back feet calmly?


No comments:

Post a Comment