Thursday, October 20, 2011

Music Montages

This is the part of the story that if Hollywood got a hold of it, they would make it a music montage.  There would be peppy, happy music and slow mo videos of my pony and I cantering through fields.  It would end with a shot of me burying my face in her long, flowing white mane while I hugged her and we both sighed contentedly.  Maybe some of you have this with your new horse.  Fuck you...I mean, lucky you.  

If you were to do a music montage of the Princess and I, it would be in black and white and would have a soundtrack by Nine Inch Nails.  It would end in a stand off with the Princess in one corner, lips wrinkled and looking at something in the distance and me in the other, crying because my Pony hates me.

Here's a condensed version of the last five months.  Because I'm doing this blog to put down my thoughts going forward, not what happened in the past.  So let's just get this over with.

The Princess comes home and goes into full training.  Hurrah!  Princess immediately goes into raging, stallion like heat squealing and striking.  Pony is immediately moved to a different stall away from other horses.  Princess begins work and though she is behind the bit (hello Arab head set) she is a lovely mover and tries hard.  Princess is spooky and has a hard time paying attention, but this is to be expected at a new barn.  

Month two.  Princess doesn't stand in crossties.  Princess is terrified of washrack.  Princess doesn't want you to touch her belly.  Princess kicks when you try to lift back feet.  SCREEEEEECCCCHHHH!  That was everything coming to a halt.  KICKING!?!?!  Yes, kicking.  Defensive kicking, but kicking none the less.  Enter month two of training.  More kicking.  Massage.  Still kicking.  Now also pinning ears and biting.  However, she did go to a schooling show and scored 62% and a red ribbon with the trainer riding her.  

Month three involved more healing work, more body work, chiropractic adjustments, more full time training, more spooking and the addition of raspberry leaf to her diet.  Month three also had me riding less.  Her spooking was unnerving and I couldn't even brush her without her trying to bite or kick.

Month four.  More training, more adjustments, more massage, the addition of a round of ulcer medication.  The addition of a second job to help finance all of the above.  More spooking, more kicking.  

Month five.  Another month off full time training, magnesium supplement, frustration, tears, hair pulling and leaving the barn crying almost every day.  Remember my list of what I wanted in a pony?  Yep, she was everything I didn't want.  This led to the decision to put her up for sale.  More crying, more gnashing of teeth.  

And so here we are, getting ready to enter month six.  This is the Princess' last month of full time training.  I can't afford it anymore and it's not helping me find my place with this horse.  I had planned on putting her up for sale as soon as I got pictures, but my camera broke the very day I went out to take pictures.  And the battery went dead on the video camera.  And then my editing software broke.  Maybe I'm not supposed to sell her after all......

So, let the games begin.  We're going to fix this goddamn thing.  I was going to say "or die trying" but I thought that'd be a horrible jinx.  I hope if you stumble across this blog and you're an overanxious, worrywart adult that I can offer some comfort to you.  You are not alone.  And hopefully, through this journey, we'll come out the other side victorious.

6 comments:

  1. I'm in. Sign me up. I get it (which you must already know, since you're reading my blog.)

    It's good that you're writing. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muddy- It was blogs like yours that inspired me to write my own in the hopes that I will be able to chart my progress and quit chasing my own tail. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mona - thanks for following my blog! Blogging has been such a positive experience for me as a new rider and horse owner! You will get through it! May I make a suggestion? I don't know if it's appropriate in all of your scenarios, but what about a spray water bottle. My guy has had his moments of being rude. Every time he tried to push me as I walked in front of him while he was in the cross-ties, he would get a squirt in between his eyes followed by NO! Every time he pulled his foot out of my hand, he got a squirt + NO! Every time he tried to pull the saddle off the rack, he got a squirt + NO! It only took a few visits to correct his rude behaviour. You need to have a spray bottle that allows a stream of water of about 6-8 feet. I would sort of hide the bottle from him when I squirted - I didn't want him to become shy of grooming products. What's cool about this is that they don't see the water coming but it's reinforcing your NO! :-) Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Wolfie. I like the water bottle idea and will have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Welcome to the horse blog world :) Does your trainer help you with her issues at all, like the spooking or the kicking, etc? I don't know your whole story yet, but I hope I can offer some advice since I've been in sort of the same place with my horse.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Steph-
    Thanks for the welcome! I have just started working with a different trainer and we have already seen progress. Yeah! I will be blogging about the trainer part soon since that has it's own story. :) That being said, I'm ALWAYS open for hearing good advice!

    ReplyDelete